Most days when I hear about the 'sacrifices' that missionaries around the globe are making I look at my life, sitting here on my plush couches, rug underfoot, and coffee in hand, and I think “life as a missionary is not rough at all.” I drive to town and shop for food at a regular store, and even treat the boys to a strawberry yoghurt ice cream made by Nestle. Heinz sweet chilli sauce is in abundance and since I couldn't find it in the USA, a part of me feels like Africa is more indulgent than my previous residence. Even my cravings to scour the isles at Marshalls and the Macy's clearance racks on a weekly basis have subsided, and the temptation to spend my kwacha at PEP and Mr. Price just doesn't exist.
(Ryan and I after our first date)
“Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?” (said the Lord), “Then I said, “here am I! Send me.” (Isaiah 6:8)
(Ryan's graduation from LLU medical school 2005)
“God who has saved us, and called us with a Holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.” (2 Timothy 1:9)
For 19 years, there was no out of the ordinary calling in my life. I was content to be an HR business lady, working my way up a top company downtown Sydney, and enjoying the proximity to my family and friends. This was the direction I had perceived on my own for my own life.
Then I met Ryan, who with great assurance and conviction knew that God had called him and given him the tools necessary to plan his life for the service of others.
“Yes! I'm in – I can totally buy into this man's mission” I contemplated after our tennis date. “Besides, what girl needs money, fancy clothes, and overpriced meals with ambiance?”
During medical school we joined the Deferred Mission Appointee (DMA) program. We shared a passion for overseas work with Ryan's classmates and their spouses. We eagerly anticipated our own calls to mission service and wondered exactly what God had in mind for us.
(Ryan during residency at St John Hospital in Detroit, MI)
Then residency came, and the fire was still burning, but it soon became like a pilot light in my life. It was still there, but instead of being a flame, it was a small light that could either grow or be put out quickly. When our first child, Benson was born, I began to wonder “surely we don't HAVE to go to the mission field.” Then the small doubt kept growing until one day I shouted at Ryan, “I don't want to GO! Please let me have roots, friends for more than a few years, and a home I can live in for a long time!” The disappointment was evident and I felt like I had broken the spirit of a man who was persevering through surgical residency always longing to fulfill the calling in his life.

We spent two years in discussions over our commitment to mission work. We entered into a highly emotional debate, with Ryan heading up the PRO team while I was captain of the CON team. Time was running out. We had to decide and the one thing I had not done was surrender myself to God. I must have misconstrued the Great Commission so many times, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.” (Mark 16:15) by thinking, “Go into a world you are not from (a-ha – I am in the USA and I'm from Australia – check!) and preach the gospel (well, Ryan is doing surgery, not preaching) and to every one – well....” surrender Shar....surrender....and ASK GOD!
Had God failed me when I (a self confessed fence sitter) had asked Him if he really wanted me 100%? NO! Had God failed me when I had asked Him to show me a husband worthy of journeying this life with me? NO! Would He fail me in answering the direction for my life now that we were at a crossroads with missions? “I'm not sure I'm ready to hear what God has to say about this.” I concluded and fell asleep.
Awoken abruptly I drew into prayer. I wrestled with God that night, and by the dawning hours there was just one word that was hanging on my heart. I rolled over and woke Ryan up and I told him that we should, “GO.”
The whirlwind of the next year has landed us here at Malamulo Mission Hospital in Malawi, where happiness for our family is found in great measure. There is satisfaction in knowing “that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those, who are the called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28). There has also been growth in 'living without' and although in just some small way I felt I could relate to the Church in Acts who “sold their possessions and goods and divided them among all, as anyone had need...so they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with people” (Acts 2: 45-47) I had to wonder, so what of the heart ache that accompanies this life of joy and sacrifice?
I see an unknown number register on my cell, and I fumble to answer it always hoping that my sister is calling to 'check up on the day and hear from her nephews'. How I long to 'catch up' in person!

If you have ever skyped then you know the sound of “ba bum ba bum, da da dum da” as I slip on the freshly polished concrete floor eager to see if it's Grandma and Papa or Nai Nai and GaGa who is trying to connect with us. Praying as I slide to the chair, “Please Lord, grant us good internet this morning!”
Last week I heard Ryan on the phone, talking about lymph nodes, and growths. I thought he was consulting on a patient. His face grew pale and he looked shaken. I asked, “who is that?” and he mouthed, “Juliana.” My heart sank, tears already lodging in my eyes. I just want to hug her, I want to SEE her. This is the thorn of a missionary. Leaving family and friends to serve in a country that is not our own. Not being with our family to share the moments of daily life, the highs and the lows. We are trying to learn how to grieve with our family who is going through trauma while being separated by a mighty ocean.
While we feel intense loss because of the distance of both our families, we are often blessed with a new family, our missionary family. Bonds develop quickly and months of friendship feel like years. This month marks a significant amount of transition for Malamulo ex-pat staff and also for my personal circle of mission family. We have already bon voyaged many missionaries that I have connected with, and this week we will farewell the Brown family and Elisa as they head back to the USA.
I feel like a transient. “This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through.”

(Jules and I, Summer 2010)
With a clear mission that was not entered into lightly, and a great need that abounds here in Malawi, it is evident that Malamulo is our home, for this is where God has placed us. I am thankful that I have committed to service here wholeheartedly, bearing no resentment for my husband who bore the vision first. But, though this place is our earthly home right now, the longings in my heart for my family are strong. The desire to love and share life with them is present and I have to surrender again to God for strength and purpose when I am weak and worn down.
God reveals Himself to me, “I take pleasure in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Cor 12:10)
























20 comments:
Very tear jerking entry Shar. Thank you for your transparency and look into your heart. I cant imagine what it must be like to be in your shoes, but you gave us a nice glimpse. We miss you terribly especially at this time but know that you are where you need to be right now. Keep up the faith!
Broke my heart hearing what Benson says about Grace and Faith!
YES!! You've captured the experience quite well...fulfilled in some areas of life, but so isolated in others. Deeply connected to some, only to be torn apart. The ongoing heartbreak of loss of relationships is one of the most defining aspects of a Third Culture Kid. That you can understand and relate to this will make it easier for you to support your family, for they all will have grown up this way.
Much love and hugs!!!!
~Terry
I can see my family in your place and emotional situation if we ever got to the point of letting God take control and then if His path led us back to Malawi. What powerful words as your honesty shines through. My days of growing up in Malawi include mostly wonderful memories and I believe that experience made me who I am today, more aware of life outside the great US of A.
I will continue to pray for each of you as you continue such an important mission at Malamulo. I need to share your blog again with my mother, Irene Harvey Hellsten, who met and married my dad there. She would enjoy reading your stories.
Shar,
We are thinking of you and praying for you during this time as well. We well know what it is like to live so far from family for years on end. I also am very empathetic with Jules as I am going thru chemo most weeks now (just had one today). But God is faithful and He will triumph over all this evil and suffering. Know that He is with you as He is with Jules and Corey and your folks. Had a long talk with Cheryl today. Keep your head up and know we love you lots! Hope we will see you when you come home this winter. Love, Aunt Karen
You hit it exactly, Shar. It's such a blessing to know what God has called us to do, and to feel fulfilled in His service...but being away from family is by far the hardest part of what we do here. Harder than the special food we give up, the consistent power and internet, and even bad outcomes at the hospital. I take faith in looking to our future home where there will be no more goodbyes.
Thanks Sharlene for your very honest insight into your experiences. Such a faith journey. Our love sent your way.
Dear Shar you have brought tears to my eyes as I read about your mission experience and being away from family and can identify with missing you and the family so much - wishing that we could live closer. But what an encouragement you are to my life of what it means to surrender to Gods will and Gods leading in your life - and to live a life of service for Him. Your example is truely an encouragement to my Christian walk. I love you DD xo
so true...that is exactly what i find the hardest aspect of mission life -- being so far away from the ones i love; missing out on occasions etc. i pray that God will grant both our families strength do be and do what HIs will is for us!
lots of love and prayers xx
Shar, each time I reread your blog I cry! I miss you four so very much! Thank you for your open and honest sharing of your thoughts and emotions. There's nothing easy about the choice you and Ryan made to work in Malawi, yet as you said, there are so many blessings for your family in living and working there. I am extremely proud of you!
I can't wait till you come back to visit us in Calif. It will be GRAND to play with Benson and Hudson here and to have the 5 little cousins together again!!
Love and hugs,
Mom
I just read the blog and I sit here with tears in my eyes as I read your testimony. I think of you often and praise God for the work and commitment that you and Ryan have to serve God where he has lead you! anxious to see you when you are in the area. Love you kids!!
We DO miss you 5! Still one of the most difficult things about living in Malawi. Loved your visit a few years ago xxx
And you have no idea how we loved the package you sent us! Still use the tablecloths and fairy lights at Christmas! Xxx
We think of your family often as your dads legacy lives on in Malawi!
I'm holding onto these words today as now Aunt Karen is no longer with us. Karen - we love you forever! We have never forgotten you or your advice and love in our lives xxx
Amen Rach!! And we still keep going.... 😃👍 xxx
And lots of love back to you and yours too xxx
Thanks DD! I love and miss you every day! Your wedding last year was a real highlight and I was so happy to be a part of it! Xxx
Thanks Sarah! Yes! And now look at the additions we have acquired along the way! Love to you all xxx
I know!! One day we won't have this big old ocean between us all xxx
Thanks Linda! A few of your pies might cure our home sickness at times 😜 Hope you are all well! Lots of love xox
Post a Comment