Now, since Benson’s diagnosis with T1D, the consequences of ‘irritability’,
‘hunger’, ‘thirst’, and a myriad of other random ‘normal’ kid behaviors has
Ryan and I glancing at each other come bedtime and saying, “better do a Fasting
(Blood glucose) check on Huddy in the morning…”
Then Huddy wakes up – STARVING – and we tell him, “we’re
happy to feed you son, but first we’re going to stick your finger and check
your BG!” Huddy screams, “I’m not the one with Diabetes – it’s Benson!” and
then the house wakes up and Benson comes to comfort Huddy, saying “don’t worry,
I’m sure YOU'RE ok.” To which Huddy softens and replies, “well, if I do have diabetes –
then we’ll be Chi modzi modzi (the same same) – Oh I hope I DO have diabetes!”
Snorting a response Benson states, “No Hudson – you don’t wish you had diabetes….”
We do the check, and sure enough, he’s 72, he’s Hungry – no wait
– he’s HANGRY. We get him oatmeal ASAP, (and sigh with relief).
The next week, Jett looks a little gaunt, eats more for
supper than 3 adults combined, and downs 2 Cups of water before bed. I look at
Ryan, “better do a fasting…” so, when Jett rolls over in the morning and comes
in for cuddles, he unsuspectingly receives a prick on his finger for a Blood
Glucose check. 85. I breathe. Am I
paranoid?
Reading this post you may think I’m a paranoid Mother.
Sometimes I think I am too. But there’s a very fine line between ‘paranoia’ and
‘vigilance’ when it comes to my children’s lives. And Type 1 Diabetes is a
condition that threatens Benson’s life every day. Every meal. Every night. We also
worry about the long term effects of the condition on his eyesight, his feet,
nerve degeneration, high cholesterol, artery calcification etc. We play the BG
roulette at every meal, we carb count, we bolus insulin accordingly and
sometimes we feel successful – as his BG maintains levels between 70-120 for 24
hours in a row! But then, there are days, spikes and drops in his BG could be a
result of our poor calculations – or an oncoming virus, a growth spurt,
anxiety, etc!
Last night I had a dream. I dreamed that Benson was thirsty, peeing at night, losing weight, eating like a lion, and lacking focus. I thought in my dream "oh no! Benson might have T1D..." then I woke up, sweating at the thought until I realized - this IS reality. And we ARE surviving. WE are NOT going to be beaten.
We are learning T1D is a family condition. I haven’t slept through a night since Benson’s
diagnosis. And if you’re a sibling of a T1D – chances are – you have been ‘checked’
more than the average Joe for abnormal BG readings…
Hat’s off to you families out there navigating this
condition!! I’m thankful Benson has a strong support team, and brothers like
Hudson who would be ‘happy’ to share the burden of a T1D diagnosis because it
would mean he’s like his big brother.
Sometimes Hudson and Jett hear Ryan and I 'discussing' their behavior. And one will pipe up and say, "I'm just really hungry tonight because I played ALOT of soccer, please don't prick my finger in the morning..."
Love all Diabetics in your life. Love them, and know they
make living look ‘easy’, what you don’t see – is that they fight for their
health every single day. EVERY single day...
My nightstand last night: BG check, CGM, Phone for alarms, insulin, juice, headlamp, water.
Jett Andrew 3, 1/2 yrs old
Hudson Rye, 6 years old
Benson Charles, 8 years old sporting his Constant Glucose Monitor (CGM)
"I watched a spider spin a mystic rope
Made from his very self, and hope
I watched a human soul by gulf stand,
Praying the farther side be land
The spider's filament reached stem from sod
The thread the soul flung forth, reached God."
-anonymous-
"DEAR GOD, WE NEED A CURE"
Amen!
4 comments:
Shar, I understand your situation. God is faithful and Benson's condition will not deteriorate.
Yes, Dear God, we NEED a cure ASAP!!
Oh Sharlene, bless your heart for all you do for our precious Benson Boy! Reading your blog I laugh and I cry as I think about all that you go through as you take such excellent care of Benson (as well as Huddy & Jett) day and night. Oh my, I can't even imagine it. I'm grateful that you have such a good sense of humor! Laughter is a great medicine! Thank you from the bottom my heart for all that you do for my grandsons! They are lucky lads to have such a fantastic mom!!
Thank you Saizi, we are trusting God to help us protect our kids too!
Haha, I know you can imagine their little voices and looks as they are subjected to BG checks! Thanks for your endless encouragement! Love you all xxx
Post a Comment