I haven’t been to many funerals in my 36 years of living. My
Grandpa died in 2003 and I flew to Queensland from California so I could be
present with my grieving family. I really went for my Nanna. And my Dad. I had
loved my Grandpa but he was a crotchety old man and his rough exterior made him
difficult for non-relations to tolerate. When he died, I had to be with my
family, we had to hold each other and cry, sharing memories through blurry
eyes.
Today, I went to my first funeral in Malawi. Most people
here know death as a part of life, too real, too close to home, too many lost
lives in each village. Today a young woman of 25 was buried beyond the blue gum
forest, just up the hard packed red earth trail from her parent’s village.
Hundreds of people gathered, following each other one by one to the gravesite,
looking like a line of ants.
| the march to the gravesite |
Maggie had delivered a baby on Thursday night. Placenta
Acreta. Hysterectomy. Complications from post-surgical care. Friday morning,
she was dead. Her baby was nearby, searching for milk.
Today, the village came together to bury Maggie.
Arriving just before noon, we found the mother of Maggie
under a mango tree. Surrounded by relatives, who were holding her hands as she
lay flat on the ground. Chitengi’s of all colors and patterns were wrapped
around the women who assembled while the men sat side by side in clusters just
beyond them. Maggie’s mother saw us, sat up, and through deep sobs, embraced
us. Drawing Maggie’s mother to us for connection started a rumbling of anguish
around her. We had brought recognition again to the mother’s loss. Thirty women
surrounding the mother, all closely entwined were reaching for the corners of
their chitengis and wiping their tears with great effort from their eyes. There wasn’t a dry chitengi for miles.
The Dorcas women (Seventh Day Adventist women’s ministry team)
began the service as they lined up outside Maggie’s parents home. Outside the
home where her body now lay in a casket.
Maggie was brought out of the mud-brick house, her white coffin
shuffled through a line of singing Dorcas ladies, each trying to hold her piece
of the weight as it passed. I was sitting with the women, not far from Maggie’s
mother. There was a constant murmuring, a weeping, a muted wailing that at any
moment would throb to a loud cry.
Men, one at a time, would pop up amid the crowd like a meerkat surverying the plains and say their piece. The donations roll was read, the
call for understanding and acceptance given, and a rousing sermon by a fine
young pastor challenged the village to hold on to the Hope in the Bible. To the
Hope that one day we would all see Maggie again. He joked, “you’ll get an SMS
on your phone to say she is looking for you in the Kingdom.”
While an Acappella group sang a song about ‘seeing each other
in the morning’, a distant shriek began, “Maggie, where are you?” and grew in volume
as the young women, the friends of Maggie came closer. They pressed through the
crush of people, brushing by with slight touches, as they goaded Maggie to
respond from the dead. “Maggie, Maggie, what has happened to you, Maggie?” They
were crying as they implored a response they knew they wouldn’t receive. The
kind of crying that when you hear it, you wonder if life will ever come right again
for those feeling that type of pain. The pain that lingers in your heart, long
after the last shovel has thrown dirt over the coffin.
But there was something so poignant about the way the people
were mourning. About the way they let each other mourn. I had a real sense that
even my tears (although hidden behind my Jackie-O sunglasses) would not have
been judged if they had fallen freely from my cheeks. I was sitting among people
who knew how to grieve. I was sitting among people who could mourn.
Groups of people sat wherever they could find a patch of soil
that wasn’t already taken by the emerging maize crop, a brick burning pile, or
another person. Some, enduring the searing midday sun, some strategically
placed under a mango tree, heavy with green fruit. Others had brought umbrellas
to soften the heat.
Each one had come to mourn.
What does it mean, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they
shall be comforted?”
I think I understood that verse for the first time today, as
I watched a village band together in grief for a lost daughter, a lost mother,
a lost friend.
There were no Kleenex offered when tears began to fall.
There was no restraint on emotion. No one was self conscious of their grief.
The sting of loss wasn’t stifled, it wasn’t swept under the rug.
In an African village, in the warm heart of Africa, on a
balmy December day, I discovered that when people are mourning, they will be
comforted, and that being comforted is a human need to make it through any
trial.
We are not alone. We are in this thing called life together.
And we are in this thing called death together too.
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”
(A beautiful part of a heartbreaking loss)
Matthew 5:4
| A few of the hundreds who gathered to say goodbye |
No comments:
Post a Comment