Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The DUPLO world as Benson knows it...

I'm starting to become a believer in the idea that kids don't need too many toys, BUT as many Legos as your living room can handle! Toss out the bulky plastic toys that are gathering dust, and invest in a world of play with Lego Duplo (if your little ones are 2-5)....

Benson spends HOURS each day creating scenarios and positioning his duplo people to carry out specific tasks. There is Mommy (although she has very dark black hair..?, Daddy - (kinda looks like Ryan), Benson (totally like a little B) and Hudson (the old style person, therefor the smallest of the bunch). There is GA GA and PAPA (identical grandpa figurines), the driver, the worker, and Grace and Faith (the two kittens).

Today, he was having a 'conversation' while holding the 2 grandfather figures. "I'm GA GA"..."No I'm GA GA"....then, "You're right, you are PAPA" and "You are GA GA"..."let's go to lunch".

Invariably in the evening the figures and animals are found lying down on their side or back..."Mommy, they are all sleeping....SHHHHH".

Yesterday we built a "SEA" which consisted of a walled in area, a bridge and alot of observers. He decided that you could surf on the sea and that GA GA and Benson would be the best people to try out the new surf board. So they did.

The little girl in the collection is referred to as "Leah" his little friend from Sabbath School. I asked him why it wasn't Megan (his other little friend) and he said, " It doesn't look like Megan, it looks like Leah". Which is actually true.

Each vehicle must have a driver, and Benson has to drive at least one of the vehicles. Then occasionally the modern mode of transportation is abandoned and each figure must sit on an animals back to move around.

When Hudson is playing in the sun room and starts to fuss, or if Benson needs more of my attention, he will take the "Hudson" Lego Figure, lay him in the barn on a block and say, "I just put Hudson down for his nap, you should too Mommy"...

We are lego duplo fans in this household enjoying fun creations and hours of imaginary play!

Benson and Hudson having fun in the sun room

It's Wednesday and all the Lego people get on the barn to "scream for ice cream"
Benson's lego people are sleeping...shhhh


here are Grace and Faith, the identical kittens

Daddy makes a cross of the bridge on the sea

Mommy and Daddy Lego

Hudson, Papa, Benson and GaGa on the 'boat'





9 comments:

Brooke said...

What an incredible imagination. I sure wish that we lived closer and our kids could play Duplos together. Great job capturing this fun stage of life.

Anonymous said...

How funny...it sounds like he has so much fun he he! It's great to see that B has such a great imagination. Can't wait to see you all again...Love aunty DD

Amy said...

I love that his identical kitties are Grace and Faith, they will love playing with him when you come out, great job documenting his world!

Marian said...

Where's Grandma and Nai Nai? Great to see the imagination taking flight.

Cheryl said...

So cute to hear about Benson's active imagination! He is one smart cookie!

Natalie said...

I'm curious what made the plastic doll look more like Leah than Megan. In plastic land, they would ahve the same faces and long blonde hair... lol. Kids are so silly. I'm curious as to why it's ok that the mommy has black hair.

Sharlene Hayton said...

Nat - I agree, why does he think the Mommy doll with black hair can pass for me, but the little girl figure with the brown hair won't pass for Megan! haha

Sharlene Hayton said...

I had so much fun playing legos with Benson today. His imagination is really opening up. However, we do need to find a BLOND mommy instead of the one with black hair.
--rh

Anonymous said...

Love it! Reminds me so much of Justin at the same age. He had "Little People" who all had certain names/personalities and carried on all sorts of conversations and activities with them - while he played with Legos...we didn't have Duplo then. Look forward to getting to know your little boys! Susan W