Wednesday mornings there is a buzz in our home, and Benson inquires (as he does most mornings) “Are we going to town today?”, but on this morning, on Wednesday morning, we answer “YES!”. We gather the diaper bag, the snacks, the empty grocery bags for market, our bag of extra clothes, swimmers, and Huddy's tent and we load into our Toyota Landcruiser Prado.Maxwell opens the gate and we fumble around to find our driving music.
Once the ipod is connected the music starts to flow and I hear the beach boys telling me,
“I get around
Get around round round I get around
From town to town
Get around round round I get around...”
While 80% of Malawi is Christian, and a mere 13% muslim, judging by the mini bus advertisements, one would never know. I would guess a 50/50 split if all I had to go on was what slogan was sprayed across the bumpers. Here is a sample of some of the words written on these vans:
“ALLAH IS GOD” to which the Christians replied on their mini bus, “GOD IS GOD”
“PSALMS 103” and on the back of the same bus, “IT'S A TESTIMONY”
“GOD IS GREAT”, matched by , “ALLAH IS GREAT”
“ALLAH KNOWS”, and probably as a retort “GOD KNOWS EVERYTHING”
“FEAR GOD”, “WITH GOD FOREVER”, “ALLAH IS THE ONE TRUE GOD”, “IF GOD SAYS YES WHO CAN SAY NO?” and many many more.
As I watch people moving around Malawi, I notice that each person is an individual vendor, carrying what is most important to them on their person and ready to sell at a moments notice. A 4am drive one morning revealed hard working villagers walking the road to sell bananas at a town where trucks come to by them. There were 20-30 individuals with bananas each vying for a sale. Ladies walk around town with a plethora of goods on their head, hoping to exchange them for kwacha. Kids hang fried fish and samosa type triangles out on the road and yell and wave to get our attention.
I watch a lady load a bucket of bananas on her head with the help of her friend. I watch her walk and balance the goods. I remember that walking is her mode of transportation. I am grateful for my car.
Driving home from Blantyre I see a small girl, maybe 2 yrs old. She is carefully balancing a small bundle of firewood on her head, learning, watching her mother who walks alongside with a large wood pile on her head. We slow down, wave and I gesture to the mother that I am amused to see her daughter carrying a load. We exchange a friendly smile, I see her face light up and she laughs. The verse, “teach a child in the way she should go...” comes to mind, and I think about sitting on my Daddy's lap and pretending to drive the car, about how I grew up in such a different culture than this young girl. But even though we have differences, we share laughter and the richness of the heart is not measured by what we have but by how we choose to live. “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart;and you shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)
























7 comments:
What a wonderful blog Shar. Sure makes us appreciate our own vehicles of transportation. Can't wait to see it all first hand. I'm just wondering at what time of night you wrote this blog as I checked this morning (my time) and this new blog didn't show. Much love to you all. Mum
THe guys in our group have been keeping their own collection of "matatu" (taxi) decals. Nice to see it's a pan-African phenomenon! Here are our favorites:
http://mccropders.blogspot.com/search/label/matatu%20decals
love to see pics of you guys and hear about your adventures. Though our lives seem so different I know we deal with such similar everyday things in raising our kids. Thanks for the post!
Hey Haytons,
Looks like old times over there. Loved the part about the hand dug road...so Africa. Dig it but don't fill it. That matatue pics made we want to get my "Caution, ex-matatue driver" tee shirt out :-)
Thank you Shar for sharing and describing your life so wonderfully. How do you manage to take so many great pictures?
I just showed your blog and pictures to Grace & Faith. They told me to tell you "Hi Auntie Shar! I miss you. Remember "Round and round the garden went the teddy bear...?"
Just 5 more days and I fly out of LAX to be with you and experience your world first hand! I can't wait! Love & Hugs, Mom
Thanks for sharing! What a gift you're giving your children. Stay safe and God Bless...
Misty
Wow Sharlene!! Love this post and your pics as I can appreciate how hard it is to juggle the camera and a few children.
Post a Comment