| Room 9 at Alton Villas |
| Nanna and I |
My Nanna is 89 years old.
She always says, “Cleanliness is next to Godliness”.
My Nanna believes in routine: a cup of tea twice in the
morning, and twice in the afternoon.
She always says, “its not about how much you have and
getting more, it’s about taking care of the things you already own that’s
important.”
My Nanna is a gracious host. A home cooked meal and a cup of
tea are part of an ideal afternoon with friends.
She always writes letters to her grandkids no matter where
we are in the world. Not just on our birthdays, but every few weeks, just to
tell us how the weather is in Ipswich – or how the other cousins are – or what
she’s cooking for supper. She’s a communicator.
Nanna is warm and affectionate.
Two years ago my Nanna lost her independence. She was
finding it difficult to keep up her modest home. She was prone to falling over.
That’s when she moved to her room. One room. Room 9. “Mrs
Anne Adams” slotted into the name placard on the door. A room in Alton Lodge –
Cooranbong.
A garden view. But a locked door.
A bathroom attached, but no bath.
A table and chairs, but no friends to drink a cuppa.
A smattering of pictures of life in the 1930’s, 2010’s and
every decade in between.
My favorite: Nanna – Miss Anne Brown, 21 years old. Bold
blue eyes, smooth skin and a twinkling smile that must have had all the blokes
at the country ball begging for a dance.
I enter the room. Room 9. I’m back from Africa and longing
for a visit with my Nan. This year, there’s a crash mat on the floor. Her bed
is lowered and she can’t walk anymore. She’s lying in the bed when I enter.
“Is that you Sharlene?”
“Yes Nanna, I’m here to visit you, I’m so glad you don’t
have shingles this year. I’ll bring the boys to see you tomorrow.”
We shoot the breeze a little. Then, sensing Nanna is
frustrated with her new immobility, I assert, “It must be hard Nanna. Being in
here all day and nowhere to go?”
“Darling – what’s hard is – finding a place to tie up my
horse…”
(ok Shar, just go with it…) “Nanna – what color were your
horses that you used to ride to school?”
“I had a brown one, a black one and a white one” she
reflects…
We talk a little more about the past and I think she is
quite rational as we laugh about the Christmas that was so hot, we all ended up
in one bedroom under the only air conditioner in the house.
Then Nanna says, “I had kangaroo for breakfast! I should
have saved you some.”
“Oh don’t worry Nan” (relieved she didn’t save me whatever
they served her that looked like kangaroo…)
When Deanne came with me one day Nanna asked her “where is
your little girl?”
Having had no children my sister replied, “Remember Nanna –
I haven’t got any children”
Sounding shocked Nanna inquired, “Did she die?”
“No Nan – remember I don’t have a little girl….”
With a humph she replied, “What? Did you give her away….?”
And turned her head towards the wall in disgust.
“Nan – let’s talk about Poppy and the Gemini shall we?”
changing the subject was the only way to get around the ‘mysterious
disappearance of Deanne’s little girl…’
“I’ll get up in a moment Shar and I’ll make you a cup of
tea. If you chop those tomatoes, our beef stew will be ready. Oh dear – I
haven’t even got dressed today and I’m expecting company!” Nanna moans as she
looks down at her flannel nightie.
“Nanna – don’t worry about tea, or your nightie. Remember
you’re now in a care home and you don’t have to fix food? I know it must be
hard….” I squeeze her hand.
“Darling – the only thing hard about it is finding a place
to tie up my horse!”
I went to see Nanna almost every day while in Australia.
Today, I said goodbye. I said, “I hope to see you next year when you’re 90!”
Nanna said, “I would love to be young again dear, I would love to have more
life to breathe.” I always thought Nanna would have a peace about dying. But
she is conflicted.
When she moved to her room, I pondered, “Nanna didn’t move
here to live – she moved here to die.” Now, her body has failed her. She is
skin and bones in the literal sense. She hasn’t walked in months. She is quite
simply – ‘waiting to die’.
As I kiss her wrinkled cheeks, I glance over at the pictures
of Nanna’s memories. Anne with her first husband (my Dad’s father who died when
Dad was 4), Anne with her family gathered around the dining room table on
Christmas day, Anne’s two surviving children (my dad and Aunty, Anne’s first
baby died at 10 days of age) Anne and her second husband, Anne the young lady
who rode horses and played guitar.
Immortality is a hard pill to swallow. Feeling young but
growing old. Longing for more time but knowing time is running out.
As for me, I now hope I don’t see Nanna next year. Because
it would mean she has spent another year in one room. It would mean she spent
another year drinking gel water, and eating the same soup and sandwiches for
dinner (or perhaps they will add wombat and koala to the menu alongside the
kangaroo…) It would mean she spent
another year wending in and out of lucidity.
As for me, I’ve made a plan with my girlfriends. We’re going
to descend on Alton Villas when we're in our 90’s and party in each other’s
rooms every day. We’ll tie up our horses in the carpark, eat Kangaroo steak for
breakfast, dance in our flannel jammies, drink tea with gel (so we don’t choke
on it), and find all the little children who have gone missing.
Giddy up!
| Anne Brown, 21 years old |
| Anne and my Dad's father, Leslie de Berg |
| My dad, Kevin and my Aunty, Charmaine |
| Visiting Nanna in Room 9 |
| My Dad and my Nanna |
Matthew 28:20 "I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
8 comments:
What a tender blog post about your dear Nanna! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings during this challenging chapter in Nanna's life. You are such a sweet, loving granddaughter to her. You have blessed her life as she has yours! Hugs! Mom
This was beautiful Shar, I'm so glad you got to see her, despite the unfortunate circumstances. Love your plan for your 90's!
A beautiful but wrenching read, Sharlene! Your visits mean a lot to your Dad, I'm sure. She's been blessed with beautiful grands and your years of good memories together. So glad Jesus is with us to the end.
Shar, I am so touched by the quotes your nan would always say. I can see where you learned to be so hospitable and such a gracious host. Thank you for writing and letting us all into what it was like to be there with her and also about who she is to you and about her life. What a remarkable woman!
Tough time of life all around. Spoke to Nanna last week on her 90th birthday. She was happy to make it to 90!! Xxxx
Yes, it was wonderful to be with her even in the 'kangaroo' moments!!
Xoxo
I think you're right about my dad. He does like it when we visit his Mum. She just turned 90! Xxx
She sure is!! I spoke to her this week in a very lucid conversation. Missing her as she turns 90.
Xoxo
Post a Comment