Benson and I took off early, and survived the 4 hour Chicago lay over, then a 9 hour straight flight from Chicago to Honolulu. He was wound up on the plane, and after his 1 1/2 hr nap, he spent the rest of the flight in disgust of the 'seatbelt sign' and trying his darnedest to make it into the first class cabin. (The boy does have good taste). Benson could be described as an 'E' from mere observation on this flight. He took his ball and car up to strangers and asked them to play with him, he tried to steal a beer from a man in 40D (more than once), and then when he realized his was not old enough to drink, he thought he would try to take the same man's deck of cards...They were probably wondering what he really does when he is home...
He cruised the Isles at a pace that made the flight attendants nervous, and stopped only to beg for food (which he always got), and give high fives to the multiple hands that were loving his style of entertainment.
I was amused, but tired. When we arrived in Honolulu and moved our suitcase, carry on suitcase, diaper bag, stroller and car seat (only with the help of a stranger), I was so happy to see Aunty Louisa at the airport! Benson was happy too, and he loved being followed around the airport by his Aunty who helped him to stay out of trouble til we got on our flight over to the Big island at Kona, to visit Grandma Nancy and Keoki.
Grandma Nancy and Keoki are wonderful hosts, and we enjoyed delicious meals at home, at restaurants, and a guided tour of the island. It was fabulous and we miss them already! Keoki took Louisa and I to the 'toilet bowl', which was a bowl in the lava rock, with a tube out to the ocean, so each time the waves crashed, the water rose, and the then sunk, it was very cool!
On Friday, we trekked over to Maui and met Ryan, Nai Nai (Cheryl), Ga-Ga (Bill) and Farmor (Ryan's Grandma).
While on Maui, we stayed at Kehei and Lahaina and spent our days at the beach, out snorkelling in the ocean and playing games during Benson's naps.
Another day, Benson stayed with his Nai Nai, Ga-Ga and Farmor, and Ryan and I went off for a long day's driving on 'the road to Hana'. We quickly were thankful that Bill and Cheryl had Benson for the day, as we engaged the 671 hair pin turns on the road out there.
The evening we talked and ate, watched the ocean from our window, and played Puerto Rico, Clue - Master Detective, and other fun social games.
It was a marvelous week and I am so grateful for the time with my family and especially my husband.
4 comments:
Thanks for the pictures and update. I am extremely impressed with your long flights alone with Benson. This is such an energetic age! You are a super Mommy!
Great job describing the trip to Hawaii! I love your humor! You always keep me laughing! Yes, we did have a fabulous vacation together in paradise. I loved every minute.
Hi this is Great Grandma Edwards. I just looked at your blog. I loved seeing Hawaii again through your eyes. I would have loved to have been there too if I had felt up to it.
Wonderful pictures and description of our trip to Hawaii. It was so much fun I will enjoy looking back when I get back to Norway. You are so much fun to be with.
Post a Comment