Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Craigslist got me thinking...

I'm not the kind of person who cringes at the thought of 'digging' through racks of clothes at Marshalls to find the perfect pair of designer jeans for $30. In fact, I quite delight in the process. To me, there is something exciting about paying WAY less for something than what the listed retail price is. Oh, and by the way.... don't make another purchase online without searching the internet for coupons! Retailmenot.com has saved me many dollars.

Ever thought about buying second hand and getting exactly what you want? I took the list of needs and wants for our upcoming years in Africa and prayed about the expensive and then actively got up and started seeking alternative places for purchase. There is a neat resale shop on Kelly called "Second Glance" where I found brand new rugs for 1/3 price of what they currently sell for in the store. Brand new! Benson got a balance bike brand new for 1/2 price, and I got the satisfaction of knowing I saved money!

Ever bought from Craigslist? I can admit, I tried several years ago, but the process was tiring and I didn't fully understand how to do it right! Getting caught in a web of email back and forths is frustrating, so now I ask for a phone number on the first exchange. When you talk to someone about their used product, you'll know if it's the right thing for you. So, thanks to Craigslist, I have been checking off all kinds of purchases and feeling good about 'recycling' and 'price reduction'.

So, what do you do with your excess, your unused household items, or things you no longer need? Do you sit them out on the curb for the city to crush, do you give them away, or just hoard them in your basement?

Take a moment, de-clutter, de-compress, and recycle your things! And hey, get some money for your efforts. And next time you need to buy something...get creative!



2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Good job, Shar! You are a master shopper! I am really proud of you for shopping so wisely. Love, mom

dunnes4 said...

Can't wait till your in Aus and we can discuss lego and de-cluttering/bargain hunting!! Two of my favourite things!!! (although now we are onto "lego" i do tend to find mini helmets, and other tiny pieces around the house)... oh well... looking forward to seeing you soon!!
Nadine xo